internet literature

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tears of a Clown.

With the help from my friend Dale I re-discovered the music of the 60s band "The Grass Roots." They are one of the most underrated bands of that period. I reckon because of all the great talent coming out at that time. 

Dale is one of the most passionate people I've met. He's always spilling his heart and tearing his hair out about some girl, or just madly drunk and fearlessly dancing. He has a tongue for fast food and cheap poison booze.

The other night we were at my apartment along with our friend Ook singing Beatles songs, laughing over whatever, and drinking beer. Dale's "future wife for the moment" called him up so she and a couple of her friends joined us. Dale is mad about this girl. Last week he was torn apart when she didn't respond to a text message. We went out for coffee and he explained she was the 'one.' How many times have you seen her, I asked. twice, he responded. 

So she came along with a couple friends, (one being an awesome singer/songwriter ala Damien Rice).  Dale suggested I play "Wait a Million Years" by Grass Roots so he could sing it. (This song he was listening to over and over when he was waiting for her message the other week). 

I started playing the intro and chords and Ook was laying down the bass. Dale comes in full blast belting out these words about 'waiting a million years for the girl to hold him' and whatnot. He was getting really theatrical, reaching out and making fists and beating his chest. The whole time his eyes were closed. I was pretty amazed, not by his singing per say, but just because other than fucking around with those Beatles tunes I've never heard him sing. But there he was, as if on stage in front of a million people.  I looked around the room. It was quite obvious he was singing for this girl. The lyrics leave nothing unturned about longing love. He's singing, practically falling over:
    "Pacing the floor, detest
     sweat pouring down my chest,
     still I can't love you less.
    Its worth all the pain and pride
   Baby, I just can't hide what I feel inside."

The girl looked pretty freaked out. But everybody clapped when it was over and Dale wiped his brow and smiled around. 

Some people get burned by that intensity. I had told him over coffee coming full on probably isn't for every girl. But thats his nature. I'm sure this drama will continue whenever she doesn't pick up a phone call and he will throw himself around an apartment and philosophize. She's moving to Australia in a couple months anyhow.  


Tragic hero English chum. You'll be missed.